Sunday, July 25, 2010

Korean text messages

PEOPLE TEXT differently over here. I'm still in the process of figuring out all the different smiley faces; there are a lot, and nothing like the ones we use in the West. So a typical text conversation can be quite fun - mainly because you may not know just quite what is going on.

Are they crying, winking, smiling, frowning, flirting? Who knows! It's all part of the fun of being western in Korea.

Anyway, I went online looking for someone to practice Korean with and hangout. There are countless ads on the net looking for language exchange buddies. Within 12 hours four people had contacted me. One girl included her number, and I gave her a shout.

We'd been texting for a few hours when she asked how much Korean I knew. Very little I told her. She said she could make me a Korean for a month (I think). I told her good luck but she could try.

Here's text I was sent back:


"ㅋ ㅋ ok! I can do it! R Q R Q R Q R Q R Q"

I have no idea what she is talking about but she sounds loud and excitable - and friendly. I wonder what she's like in person?

"R Q R Q" all the way, girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment